Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Assignment 2-2, Icon Analysis






The 3 contemporary icons that I chose are Taylor Swift, Ugg boots and Coach handbags. I am a big fan of Taylor Swift. She is a very talented music pop icon. She began singing at the age of 10 and at the age of 14, became the youngest person ever to be signed as a professional staff songwriter at Sony Records. She signed her first record deal before she could drive and at age 17, became the youngest person to single-handedly write and sing a #1 country hit entirely on her own. She won the 2009 American Music Award for Artist of the Year and the 2009 CMA Award for Entertainer of the Year. I chose Taylor Swift because I think her talent is amazing. To have accomplished all that she has as a teenager is very inspiring. There are many young kids and teenagers that look up to her as a role model.

Ugg boots are very trendy and popular boots that are worn over jeans, slacks, jogging pants, etc. Some prefer to wear them under their jeans, slacks, jogging pants, etc. There are all different styles and colors of uggs. Ugg boots are mostly worn by girls and women of all ages, but they are starting to cross over to the men’s market. Men are mostly wearing the motorbike boot-style or rugged waterproof Uggs. You see them on television, in the movies and everywhere you go. I am curious to see how long Uggs actually stay in style. So many trends will come and go very fast. I chose Ugg boots because I own 2 pairs myself and absolutely love them! Not only are they cute, but also very warm and comfortable. I wear my Uggs a lot in the cold weather.

Coach handbags are a popular icon among girls, teens and women of all ages. Just like the Ugg boots, you see Coach handbags in the movies, on television and everywhere you go. Coach also makes wallets, accessories, shoes, jewelry and apparel. They have a men’s line of wallets, accessories, brief cases and shoes as well. I believe that Coach handbags will be popular for a very long time unlike other trends that come and go fairly quick. I chose Coach handbags because I think they are very fashionable and of course I own one! It is amazing how something like Uggs and Coach handbags become popular icons in a short period of time.

3 comments:

  1. Your choices were very good. My daughter has these Uggs as well. I have noticed some of my wife's friends having these handbags. Taylor Swift is certainly an interesting story. Didn't she try out for American Idol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big Taylor Swift fan. For one so young, she is very mature. She handled the problem on stage at the American Music Awards very well when Kanye West took over the mike.

    I am not a big fan of the Ugg boots, but I do love the Coach bags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been a "fashion statement" person; however, I see those boots everywhere. Even the commericals show kids perferring boots over skirts and sweaters. It doesn't matter what outfit you are wearing, they make "comfy" boots to go with it. Coach bags fit into the same category.

    Taylor Swift swept the nation with her talent, yet she seemed to keep it realistic. She doesn't seem to allow her fame to take away from who she is. She is someone that we should use as an example. Good choice on her as one of your icons.

    ReplyDelete